- A Texan required 26 doses of anti-venom after he was bitten by the severed head of a rattlesnake he had killed
- The incident happened May 27 as Milo and Jennifer Sutcliffe were doing yard work at their home
A man from Texas almost died after he was bitten by the head of a rattlesnake he’d just decapitated.
Jennifer Sutcliffe and her husband, Milo. were doing yard work at their Corpus Christi home on May 27 when she spotted a 4-foot rattlesnake lurking nearby. Jennifer said her husband hacked off its head with a shovel but as he bent down to pick up the remains, the severed head bit him.
Apparently, snake’s bite reflex can be triggered up to several hours after it has died.
According to a report by ABC News, the snake released all of its venom into Milo, causing him to immediately experience seizures, loss of vision and internal bleeding. Several reports said that his hand swelled up considerably and was covered in dark purple bruises.
Jennifer called 911 and her husband was airlifted to a nearby hospital where he was treated with the anti-venom CroFab.
The first 24 hours were the worst, according to Jennifer. Doctors told her that Milo might not make it, even after giving him vast amounts of anti-venom.
“A normal person who is going to get bit is going to get two to four doses,” Jennifer said.
“He had to have 26 doses,” she added.
Thankfully, more than a week after the incident, the man is reportedly in stable condition but his kidney function is still weak.
Trauma surgeon Michael Halpert said although dying from a snake bite is rare, it happens.
“There are about 6,000 to 8,000 snake bites per year in the country, and 10-12 people die,” Halpert said.
If someone near you is bitten, get medical help immediately.
“You just want to keep the victim calm, keep the bitten area above the level of the heart slightly, and get the patient to the nearest emergency room,” Halpert advised.