Robredo lead narrows down by 21,000? ‘Fake news’, says VP

  • Recent reports claimed Robredo’s lead has been trimmed down by 21,000 votes
  • The VP slammed the reports as ‘fake news’
  • The drop in margin was allegedly due to the 50 percent threshold set by PET

MANILA, Philippines – Another ‘fake news’; this is how Vice President Leni Robredo described recent reports claiming that her lead over Bongbong Marcos in the ongoing manual recount has been trimmed down by 21,000 votes.

On Thursday, Robredo called out a tweet by Philstar that says her lead over Marcos was down by 21,000 after 6 weeks of manual recount covering 16 towns in Camarines Sur. The newspapers quoted an insider who allegedly claimed the margin between the two has been narrowed down to 242,000, from the previous 263,473.

“This is fake news. Propaganda meant to condition the minds of the public,” said Robredo in the tweet.

“2 weeks ago, PR stunt was we already lost 5,000 votes. Both are fake. If you really won the elections, why the need for fake news?” she added, apparently referring to her rival.

Hours later, Robredo again hit at other news outlets for reporting the same ‘fake news’.

“Learned that the fake news also came out in Bulletin, Standard, Tribune, PTV 4, etc. Huge PR stunt. Can’t come from a PET insider, as they claim, because this is so far from the truth. We already know from which camp this comes from,” she further wrote.

In the series of tweets, Philstar explained the cut in Robredo’s lead was mainly due to the 50 percent threshold set by the Presidential Electoral Tribunal (PET) and other votes deemed not acceptable under the tribunal rules.