- Turkish government links the Islamic State behind the bombing attack in one of its airports
- The deadly attack left 42 dead and 239 injured
- Authorities says the investigation will be completed soon and the identities of the suspects will be disclosed
The Turkish government has placed the blame on the Islamic State for the deadly bombing attack in a major airport in Istanbul last June 28.
“Our thoughts on those responsible for the attack lean toward Islamic State,” Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said as quoted in a Reuters story. As of publishing time, the IS has not claimed accountability on the incident.
Yildirim issued the statement in a press conference held at the Turkish capital Ankara. He also said during the briefing that the investigation will be completed soon and the suspects will be identified.
BBC said in a story previously published that investigators are currently reviewing the CCTV footage and video recorded through a smartphone of passengers present at the time of the bombing.
“Authorities have suggested that they were foreign nationals but this has not been confirmed,” the story wrote.
Terror rose in Turkey when a group of three men entered the premises of the Ataturk airport in Istanbul. They fired guns and a suicide bomb, which left 42 people dead.
According to the same story by BBC, officials claimed that there were 239 injured, 41 of them were placed at the intensive care unit.
Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan earlier called on all nations for a united action against terrorism.
“Make no mistake: For terrorist organizations, there is no difference between Istanbul and London, Ankara and Berlin, Izmir and Chicago or Antalya and Rome. Unless all governments and the entire mankind join forces in the fight against terrorism, much worse things than what we fear to imagine today will come true,” he said.
Turkey housed over 3 million refugees that fled from Syria, where the Islamic State has established a base.