Fight not over: Bongbong Marcos to file electoral protest before SC

  • Senator Bongbong Marcos to file an electoral protest on Wednesday, June 29
  • He will file it before the Presidential Electoral Tribunal with his son Sandro
  • This comes a day ahead of the inauguration of winning vice presidential bet Leni Robredo

Defeated vice presidential candidate Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr will file an electoral protest before the Presidential Electoral Tribunal on Wednesday, June 29.

A day ahead of Vice President-elect Leni Robredo’s oath-taking on June 30, her tightest contender, Marcos will head to the Supreme Court to contest her victory during the May 9 elections.

GMA News Online said in a story that Marcos will be accompanied by his son Sandro as he files his protest on the very deadline of filing.

George Garcia, Marcos’ legal counsel in the electoral battle said they decided to file the protest on Wednesday due to some “final editing” of the necessary documents they are required to submit before the High Court.

Marcos has been in a tight and very close battle with Robredo during the last elections. Robredo won by only a margin of about 200,000 votes over Marcos. The Liberal Party (LP) bet got 14,418,817 votes while the son and namesake of the late President Marcos got 14,155,344 votes.

Marcos’ camp has accused the LP of cheating several times since the partial and unofficial canvassing of votes showed that Robredo was ahead of Marcos by a slim margin.

The senator, who was leading the pre-election surveys at the time, led the race and even reaching his peak at about 1 million votes. But come mid-evening, his lead from Robredo slowly eroded until she snatched the first place and maintained being the token winner of the unofficial count.

Since then, Marcos’ camp has pounded on the issue of the alteration in the script of the transparency server, which may have affected the results.

His representatives, lawyer Jose Amorado and campaign advisor Jonathan dela Cruz have successively filed complaints against Smartmatic officials for allegedly breaching the protocol when they altered the script to change the names appearing with “?” to “ñ”.

The Commission on Elections, for its part, said the change in script has not affected the canvassing of votes.

Loading…