Bongbong Marcos invited, will attend Duterte’s oath-taking

  • Senator Bongbong Marcos will attend President-elect Rodrigo Duterte’s inauguration
  • Marcos says his sister Imee Marcos was also invited but unsure if she will be attending
  • The losing vice presidential candidate is known to have very close ties with the incoming president

While Vice President-elect Leni Robredo will be having a separate proclamation from President-elect Rodrigo Duterte, Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr will be among the 627 guests to attend Thursday’s event at the Malacañang Palace.

The senator confirmed he was invited ­and is also attending the event in a press conference held after he filed his electoral protest before the Presidential Electoral Tribunal a day ahead of the inauguration on Wednesday, June 29.

“When you are invited by the president to come to his inauguration, you go,” Marcos was quoted in a PhilStar story.

Marcos, however, was uncertain whether his sister Ilocos Norte Governor Imee Marcos – also invited to the gathering – will also be going.

The son of the late President Ferdinand Marcos is known to have forged close ties with Duterte.

During the campaign season, the two have been eyed to be an ideal tandem for “real change” in government despite being paired with other bets. Duterte is running with Senator Alan Peter Cayetano while Marcos was vice president to Senator Miriam Defensor-Santiago.

The incoming president has also been very vocal of his approval of the proposed burial of the late strongman’s remains at the Libingan ng mga Bayani (Heroes’ Grave).

He also expressed his closeness with Marcos when he refused to give Vice-President-elect Leni Robredo a position in his cabinet. Duterte said giving Robredo a post would hurt “Bongbong’s” feelings.

“Kaibigan ko si Marcos. [Marcos is my friend.] That’s the political reality,” Duterte previously said in a press conference.

Marcos lost to Robredo in a close vice presidential race by a margin of at least 200,000 votes.

Loading…