Abu Sayyaf sets Filipina hostage free

Marites Flor, the Filipina taken captive by the Abu Sayyaf with 3 foreigners at a high-end resort in Davao del Norte, was freed by her captors.

Rappler’s Bea Cupin said on her article dated June 24, 2016 that based on intelligence reports that reached Rappler, Marites Flor was released in front of Sulu Governor Abdusakur Tan II’s residence in Jolo, Sulu around 4:30 a.m. on Friday, June 24.

Major Filemon Tan, the spokesman of the Armed Forces of the Philippines’ Western Mindanao Command, said Marites Flor is in the custody of Joint Task Force Sulu as of 12 noon Friday.

It was not known if ransom was paid for her freedom.

Marites Flor was abducted on September 2015 along with Canadians John Ridsdel and Robert Hall, and Norwegian Kjartan Sekkingstad.

Robert Hall, who was beheaded by the Abu Sayyaf last June 13, was Flor’s live-in partner. John Ridsdel was executed last April 25.

Kjartan Sekkingstad, who is believed to be still alive, remains in captivity. In a telephone interview with a media outfit earlier this month, the Norwegian pleaded for help from the Philippines and Norwegian governments.

The Abu Sayyaf, through its spokesman Abu Raami, warned of another beheading if their ransom demand of P600-million is not met. Raami said they will release a new video where the group will announce the new ultimatum for ransom payment.

“No ranson, another beheading,” Raami warned.

President-elect Rodrigo Duterte had warned the Abu Sayyaf that there will be a day of reckoning. He asked the bandits to surrender unconditionally and free their hostages.

Loading…