2 children dead after eating poisonous puffer fish in Camarines Sur

  • Two children died after eating poisonous puffer fish in Camarines Sur
  • The father of the boys brought home the fish, which was served to the family
  • Puffer fish poison is much stronger than cyanide

Two brothers died after eating poisonous puffer fish which was served in their home in the town of Calabanga in Camarines Sur.

The brothers, 7-year-old John Edcel Bristol and 6-year-old Anton Rey Bristol, were declared dead on arrival at the Bicol Medical Center (BMC) where they were brought to.

Two of their other siblings were also treated for poisoning. Meanwhile, another child, 6-year-old orphan Arnold Reforsado who joined the siblings in their meal, was also rushed to the BMC after complaining of the same symptoms.

In a report by GMA News, initial investigation by authorities revealed that the siblings’ father brought to their home in Barangay Sabang what locals call ticong or puffer fish after a night of fishing. The family served the fish the following day.

Later during the day, the children complained of dizziness and stomach pain and experienced vomitting.

Officials from the local police, the municipal health office, and the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) have gone to the Bristol family residence to collect the sample of the leftover puffer fish served for further analysis and examination.

The local BFAR has issued a statement warning the public against eating puffer fish due to its poison which can be fatal when ingested.

Meanwhile, the local government unit of Calabanga has extended assistance to the family of the deceased children.

Puffer fish is so lethal that its poison has been found to be even more potent than cyanide, and with no known antidote.

Loading…