Teodoro says he is still studying Duterte offer of top defense post

Image from Sec. Gilbert Teodoro's Facebook page
  • Former Defense Secretary Gibo Teodoro denies turning down the offer of presumptive President-elect Rodrigo Duterte
  • Duterte and Teodoro had a brief meeting in Davao City last May 16 but had not reportedly discussed the offer in full that time
  • Teodoro said he has to consult his family first before considering the offer 

Former Defense Secretary Gilberto “Gibo” Teodoro, Jr. on May 22 denied reports that he has declined the offer of presumptive President-elect Rodrigo Duterte to handle the same position anew.

He said: “I have not declined the offer of the President-elect to serve as defense secretary. The importance of the position to the national interest requires no less than serious consultation especially with the President-elect before accepting such in order to ensure that a prospective Secretary is the right choice”, as quoted in an article written by Nikko Dizon on Philippine Daily Inquirer.

Last May 16, Duterte and Teodoro had a brief meeting in Davao City but had not reportedly discussed what the President-elect expected of a defense secretary.

Teodoro assumed the post in August 2007 under former President now reelected Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo. He was the administration’s presidential candidate in 2010 but lost to outgoing President Benigno Aquino III, who is his cousin.

Included among the accomplishments of outgoing Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin is the biggest modernization effort of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) as the military slowly shifted back to its original mandate, which is to secure the country from external threats.

Meanwhile, Teodoro earlier disclosed he has to consult his family first before considering the offer as he further noted that whoever might be Duterte’s defense chief will have big shoes to fill.

In August last year, Teodoro was named board chairman of Sagittarius Mines Incorporated (SMI). His appointment followed the completion of the sale of the majority stake previously held by Glencore International to Filipino-owned Alsons Prime Investment Corporation early this month.

Loading…