News Ticker

[VIDEO] Father films 11-month old daughter’s murder on Facebook Live before killing himself

BANGKOK, Thailand — A Thai man killed himself after killing his 11-month-old daughter while filming it on Facebook Live, Police said on Tuesday, April 25.

It was reported that the suspect’s friends alerted the officers on the southern resort island over the grisly crime that was broadcasted live on social media.

The police then rushed to a deserted hotel near international airport on Monday afternoon and found a smartphone leaned against a wall.

“They had already died when I arrived there,” said Lieutenant Jullaus Suvannin; one of the first to respond on the crime scene, told AFP.

The suspect identified as Wuttisan Wongtalay was believed to have had an argument with the murdered child’s mother, according to the Police.

“He was having paranoia about his wife leaving him and not loving him,” Jullaus told Reuters as per The Sydney Morning Herald story.

The mother, together with relatives, took both the corpses of her child and the man from the local hospital on Tuesday, as broadcasted on Channel 3.

The governor of Phuket called on Thais to refrain from sharing the footage of the murder and suicide, where copies have gone circulating on the social network on Tuesday afternoon.

The four-minute clip showed the man hanging the baby from the edge of the abandoned building. His suicide though was not shown in the live video, yet his body was discovered hanging the same way as the child.

There is absolutely no place for content of this kind on Facebook and it has now been removed,” a regional Facebook representative in Singapore told AFP; describing the incident as “appalling” in its statement late Tuesday.

The incident happened days after following Mark Zuckerberg’s promise to work on keeping the social network from being used to proliferate the disturbing acts of murder and suicide.

In a similar event on which a man in Ohio USA made use of Facebook Live to show himself killing an old man in the street then later shot himself after a massive manhunt and police chase, Zuckerberg responded to pressure conceding that Facebook still had a “a lot of work” to do on the issue, he said on his speech on Wednesday as disclosed by Inquirer.

“We are going to work on building common ground, not just getting more opinions out there,” he said.

Now the social network has a team of moderators working in a 24-hour shift. They are the ones to decide whether a reported content is to be removed or not where crimes and suicides are of high-priority.

However, they have admitted that they are still limited to the time by how they could respond quickly as a high volume of content is posted online everyday.