News Ticker

Man chokes to death while attempting to eat a gigantic doughnut in 80 seconds

Man died while eating a gigantic doughnut
• Travis Malouff participated in an eating challenge at a doughnut shop in Denver, Colorado
• He choked to death while trying to eat the big doughnut in 80 seconds or less

A 42-year-old man from Denver, Colorado died from choking while trying to eat a half-pound doughnut, the size of a small cake, in an eating challenge at Voodoo Doughnut shop on East Colfax Avenue last Sunday, April 2.

Winners of the challenge will get a free button that says they won the challenge and will not pay for the gigantic doughnut they ate.

A Willamette Week article dated April 3, 2017 mentioned that Travis Malouff was attempting to wolf down a half-pound, five-inch glazed doughnut in 80 seconds or less when he began choking. After 30 seconds elapsed, Malouff hunched over the store counter and pounded on it. When he turned around, his face was blue and then he collapsed.

Two customers broke his fall and tried to help him until paramedics arrived, but Malouff died at the scene. He died from asphyxia due to obstruction of the airway, says a medical examiner.

Malouff’s father called his son’s death tragic.

“It’s a loss of life that shouldn’t be.” Curtis Malouff said.

Voodoo Doughnut, in a letter to Willamette Week, said: “Our hearts go out to the Malouff family during this very difficult time. While this matter is under investigation, we believe it would be inappropriate to comment further.”