- At least 26 people were killed when a passenger bus fell down a ravine in Nueva Ecija
- The bus is believed to be carrying over 60 passengers against its capacity of only 45
- Malacañang Palace vowed that a thorough investigation will be conducted
MANILA, Philippines – At least 26 people were killed when a passenger bus fell off a ravine in Nueva Ecija Tuesday afternoon, April 18.
A police official confirmed that 24 passengers died on the spot when a Leomarick bus traveling from Isabela province to Candon in Ilocos Sur fell down below a 100- to 150-feet ravine in Barangay Capintalan, Carranglan in Nueva Ecija around 11:30 am.
Two more died while being treated at the hospital, according to Senior Inspector Robert de Guzman, chief of Carranglan police.
The bus has a capacity of 45 passengers, but Mayor Mary Abad said there were at least 60 people onboard.
The area is also considered as an accident prone and it was not the first accident that happened in the area.
The survivors, initially placed at 22, have been taken to different hospitals in the towns of Bayombong, Aritao, and Bambang and in the cities of San Jose and Cabanatuan.
The Malacañang Palace has sent its condolences to the families of the victims and vowed a thorough investigation.
“We guarantee that the culprits behind the fatal bus mishap will be held accountable,” said Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella.
The police have yet to release the names of those who died and the area had been temporarily closed to facilitate the retrieval operations.